Key food tech startups that defined 2018 & trends and what to expect in 2019
AgFunder looks at a list of food tech startups that defined 2018, as well as, trends and what to expect in 2019.
The article looks at:
- Packaging innovations as consumers are increasingly insisting on packages that are made of biodegradable and environmentally-friendly materials.
- Sustainable farming, particularly regenerative farming.
- Information technology integration into farming operations, such as blockchain, which can improve agricultural transaction by speeding it up, reducing labour costs and dramatically reducing chances of human error and fraud.
- Technology that allow for more transparency and traceability as consumers increasingly want to know where there food comes from and how it gets produced.
- Artificial intelligence in agriculture. Machine learning is being applied to the vast amount of data that is being collected through crop sensors and other technologies, to reduce the labor intensity of crop production, efficiently collect data, and reduce input costs.
- Politics in agriculture, specifically the US-China trade war and its implications in the agricultural sector.