COVID-19 presents an opportunity to transform global agriculture
An article in Agriabout highlights the opportunity presented by the COVID-19 global pandemic to provide better nutrition and healthier diets for all. The article notes the following interventions for a more transformed global agriculture in the COVID-19 recovery :
- Policymakers should facilitate trade and improve coordination between food producers and buyers at local level
- Identifying varieties of nutritious crops (such as quinoa and fonio) that can be reintroduced into diets
- Leveraging off conventional plant-breeding methods to biofortify crops that exist in current diets
- Increased subsidies to farmers that can generate food supply and lower prices
- Fostering regenerative production systems that improve soil and water quality.
More on information on this article here.